Even a well-fed pet can get the itch for more food in the form of grass or weeds, especially if they’re sick or suffering from a lack of fiber. This isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, and is ultimately just a part of their nature. The problem starts when your animal could go after a potentially poisonous plant in your lawn or garden. Not all of them are lethal, but many could induce highly aggravating side effects, like diarrhea or vomiting, which is best not having had to be cleaned up in the first place. The worst part is that these hidden dangers could look totally normal and harmless to you. But how do you tell the difference between harmless plant and potential poison?
Who’d have thought such an innocently-sounding flower could be a threat to dogs and cats? And as pretty as they are, if your cats and dogs have a fondness for digging up bulbs in the garden, they’re putting themselves in the path of this inflammatory plant agent. In dogs and cats, daffodils can cause severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and even heart attacks in the worst cases.
Hydrangea flowers, like daffodils, are beautiful but dangerous. The cyanogenic glycosides most concentrated in their flowers and leaves is known to cause diarrhea and lethargy in dogs and cats. It’s recommended that you pot these in a manner that your pets can’t get into them or better still, opt for a different plant if you have outdoor pets.
Azalea flowers and leaves, when ingested by a cat or dog, is known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, vision impairment, and even carries the risk of sending your beloved pet into a coma. The warning signs of azalea poisoning include abnormal levels of weakness or lethargy, blindness, and an irregular heartbeat.
This fairly common plant is well-known for its great height in addition to its magnificent, shade-spreading span of palm leaves. Its dark foliage is one of the most attractive plants for any property, so it should come as no surprise that it’s one of Georgia’s most popular plants. But popularity doesn’t equal niceness when it comes to your pets, however. When this dangerous plant is ingested in them, the toxic cycasin held within it can cause their stomach lining to deteriorate, leading to bloody stool, liver failure, vomiting, and even death in cases where it’s not treated fast enough.